Monday, April 7, 2014

Today is a good day.
 
Today I woke up in a hammock on a rooftop with the star-speckled sky and a monstrous mountain as my panorama.
 
Today the breeze is warm and the air is salty and the mosquitos aren’t biting.
 
Today a precious deaf orphan named Kerby climbed up and down me like I was a tree and he was the cutest monkey in the world.
 
Today a pastor’s eyes welled with tears as he stumbled over the right words to make me believe that which I already know; his community desperately needs clean water.
 
Today I drove a truck through thousands of high-speed motorcycles and cars and people and only barely hit one market stand.
 
Today I heard my King’s word preached in a beautiful, foreign, passionate tongue –and I understood it.
 
Today I ate pancakes and a chicken-hot-dog and sweet plantains.
 
Today I watched a circle of grown men in rocking chairs open their hearts to Haiti for the first time.
 
Today I floated out of my skin as a hundred harmonic beautiful voices swirled into the sky, praising God for one more safe night’s passing.
 
Today the sun was scorching til the clouds were plenty.
 
Today I was scared that a mob of charcoal-black-painted parading people might significantly hurt me.
 
Today I drove down the road with a truck full of charcoal-black-painted celebrating young people, singing together and high-fiving all the way.
 
Today I saw a 100-year old lady dance for her Maker.
 
Today I saw plastic wrap used for kites and basketballs used for soccer and soap on a stick used as a magic wand.
 
 
Today I
Lived in
Breathed in
Reveled in
The beautiful chaos
that constructs my calling.
 
May Yahweh grant me the strength of spirit, perseverance of will, and clarity of vision
to see tomorrow as the same. 
-Michael V. Reynold
JULY 20, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment