Monday, May 5, 2014

Life decision

I learned some time ago that whenever I was feeling worried, sad or hopeless I could change my attitude my pausing and counting my blessings. Prior to that I felt I was grateful and always told myself and others that I was. Looking back, that feels like an easy and complacent way out of truly being grateful and understanding just how much I have to appreciate.

Sometimes life can be daunting and it requires that I go beyond the basic gratitude; I’m grateful for a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food to eat. Though those things are pretty standard to most of us (even if we struggle financially and so on) there were times when that just didn’t seem ‘enough’. When I was at my darkest moments, I not only had to remind myself how much I have that others don’t, but also how many others are suffering far more than I.

I realized that writing down or repeating in my prayer time the many things I am grateful for helps me have a fresh perspective in life and a renewed senses of hope too. Going beyond the basics of my gratitude helped me to realize how very blessed I am. My biggest sense of joy and what I am most grateful for is that I am surrounded, always, by many people who love and care for me. The second greatest blessing is that I am alive, more healthy then many, and able to do things and live my life in ways that many cannot.

Realizing that gratitude is a necessary daily habit (yes- like brushing your teeth!) and practicing it has helped me to worry less, be more compassionate and giving towards those with a different life then mine, feel less anxious and worried about what I don’t have and renewed my sense of hope. I realize as I look back on the blessings in my life, somehow it always gets better and there seem to be new things to be grateful for when I least expect it!

Gratitude as a Daily Habit

Make a gratitude list (daily) adding things that happened that you should recognize the blessing in
Say thank you (and mean it!) to everyone who helps you, blesses you, feeds your soul
Create a gratitude board with images and words that remind you of the things you are grateful for
Take inventory of all that you have (not just the material items) and realize your abundance
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.”


No comments:

Post a Comment